The Kalanchoe thyrsiflora, otherwise known as the paddle plant or desert rose for its distinctive rosette of rounded fleshy leaves, is a very easy to care for south African succulent. This medium sized plant is perfect for tables in bright, indirect sunlight areas of you home. Comes in a 10.5cm grow pot.
Why We Love It
- Evergreen, easy to grow and infrequent watering
- Houseplant that can be placed outside in summer
- Your plant will be about 22cm tall and will be in its grow pot of 10.5cm wide
- Features beautiful large round, grey-green leave with naturally decorative red tips. A visual delight
- Tips are more vibrant in red colour with light, but be aware that direct sunlight can burn them
- The Kalanchoe thyrsiflora can flower in spring under the right conditions
- Can grow to around 50cm tall within 2-5 years under the right conditions
How to Water
Your Kalanchoe thyrsiflora will require moderate watering throughout the year. As with most succulents, watering will be needed less frequently during the colder winter months when water takes longer to evaporate. Check your soil regularly to ensure it is dry before your next watering.
During the spring growing season, you'll want to fertilise your Kalanchoe thyrsiflora with a balanced liquid fertiliser 2 or 3 times for a boost of nutrition to ensure healthy growth.
Light and Soil Conditions
The Kalanchoe thyrsiflora prefers light, bright conditions to bring out the red tips of it's beautiful fleshy leaves. However, be aware that direct sunlight will also burn the tips. A bright, indirect spot in your home will see your succulent flourish in colour and health.
When potting on your Kalanchoe thyrsiflora , you'll want to use well drained loam, sand soil. It will do well with all ph balances but must be well-draining to prevent excess watering from damaging its roots. You may want to consider using additional perlite, grit or sharp sand for better soil ventilation.
This evergreen succulent will give you vibrant year round colour and may reward your efforts with a show of bell shaped flowers in the spring under the right conditions.