This winter warmer is the perfect Christmas treat for anyone in the family. Brewed to be non-alcoholic but will also pair perfectly with your favourite Christmas tipple, like a spiced rum, whiskey or vodka.
Makes 8 servings.
- 18 Medium Apples
- 1 Orange
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Star Anise
- 3 Cloves
- Sugar or Honey (to taste)
1) For this recipe, you can use shop bought Apples - but if you've been a keen gardener this year, you might have a few of your own to choose from! Thoroughly wash the apples you have, core to remove the seeds and cut the apples into slices. No need to peel them!
2) Add the apple slices to a pot and add just enough water to cover them - the more water you add, the more diluted your juice will be. Don't be afraid to make it strong, you can always add more water later! Now is the time to add your cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves.
3) On a slow boil, boil the apples for around 25 minutes, or until soft. Once boiled, use a coffee filter or cheesecloth in a fine mesh strainer and place over a bowl.
4) Slowly begin to ladle the apples and juice into the strainer, and gently mash the apples to get out all the liquid. Repeat the process until all the apples and juice has been strained and you're left with the apple juice at the bottom. Make sure to pick out the cinnamon stick and cloves and transfer these into your juice, and add sweetener to taste!
5) Transfer your apple juice from the bowl into an air tight bottle. When serving, garnish with fresh orange peel, and a cinnamon stick.
Festive Tip: Add a spiced rum for a little kick if serving to any parents or grandparents this Christmas!
If you make this delightful recipe, be sure to tag us in a post about it on Instagram! Find us at @GardenesqueUK!